Friday 27 April 2012

It is not your business to love me, it is mine. -Byron Katie

... One of Byron Katie’s teachings is that in order to stay stress free, we need to stay in our own business. She recognizes that there are only three types of businesses in this universe:

■Other's Business
■God’s Business
■My Business
Katie observes that most of the stress that we create in our mind is due to mentally doing other people’s business.

Example thoughts of being in "Other's business"


■You need to get a job
■I want you to be happy
■You should be on time
■You need to take better care of yourself
■John does not listen to me
■Julie did not smile at me
■My husband should love me more
■My children do not care for me enough
■My employer should appreciate me
■My mother should understand me
■People should be kinder to me

You will see that in all the above examples, the person thinking these thoughts is linking her well being to something someone else should do and should not do, which obviously is not in her control. It is thus the other person's business to do or not do what they need to do, not ours.




Example thoughts of being in “God’s business”
■I’m worried about the possible earthquake in california
■I fear that the river will get flooded next year
■I fear that that the world will end in 2012
■When will it rain this season?
■When will I die?

By Byron Katie's definition, anything that cannot be done by us or others is God’s business. You will see that the circumstances in the thoughts above are outside the control of human beings and is thus God's business.
             If we do not waste our energy in minding other people's business or God’s business, we can be much more focused on minding our own business, and thus be relatively stress free.
 

Examples of staying in “My business”

■Loving myself
■Taking care of my health
■Maintaining peace in my mind
■Doing what is right for my heart
■Giving my 100% in whatever I take up
■Taking full responsibility for my life without resorting to blame

Thus the next time we feel stress, the best thing to do is to take a look at whose business we are being in. Chances are that we are doing other's business or God's business.

We can then laugh at it, let go, and get back to our own business - which is really doing the right thing for ourselves, instead of dwelling on external circumstances that we have no control over and becoming miserable
.


No comments:

Post a Comment